For easy use, the 240-plus student activity sheets are printed in a big 8-1/2" x 11" format that lays flat for photo-copying. The activities are organized into nine sections.
Here is just a sample of the topics covered in Sections 1-5:
- Choosing The Right Word: words often confused, prefixes, suffixes, synonyms, antonyms, homonyms, adverbs vs. adjectives, sensory words, similes, metaphors, and double negatives;
- Making Mechanics and Usage Work For You: apostrophes, hyphens, end marks, commas, semicolons, colons, quotation marks, titles, and misplaced modifiers;
- Writing Sentences: subjects and predicates, subject-verb agreement, simple and compound sentences, complex sentences, sentence fragments, run-on sentences, and sentence types.
- Writing paragraphs: writing a topic sentence, writing a concluding sentence, developing the topic, using tense consistently, using transitional words, and staying on the topic;
- Essay Writing Techniques: brainstorming, clustering, outlining, writing an introductory paragraph with a question or a surprising statement, developing the topic using examples, avoiding irrelevant details, writing a concluding paragraph, proofreading, and writing a five-paragraph essay.
Format: Paperback 400 pages
Recommended Grade Level: 8th grade
13-Digit ISBN: 9780787965860
10-Digit ISBN: 0787965863